Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Quench Not

1 Thessalonians 5:19 NIV, Do not quench the Spirit.
Don’t do anything to stop the free flow of the spirit when it is moving.   In our pastoral staff devotion with Bishop today, he related it to knowing the voice of God.  God wants to speak to us – and he uses his word & the Holy Spirit to do so.  I grew up Baptist - Mount Olive Missionary Baptist Church at 608 Main St to be exact.  This particular scripture was not one of our staples, but Quench not the spirit in some Pentecostal church (I am told) typically meant you dare not disrupt this worship service while the spirit is clearly here.  
For us on a daily basis we should do the same.  I believe I have quenched the spirit when I have “had a feeling” and didn't follow that unction.  I believe that I have quenched the spirit when I decided not to say what I felt I should say to someone when they dropped in my spirit.  We have all done it.  The good news is that the Holy Spirit is a gentlemen.  Even when we ignore his leading, he will continue speaking; and gently nudging us in the right direction.  
Men of Standard sing one of my favorite songs – In His Will.  In order to stay steadfast, unmovable, I need the Holy Spirit to lead me.  When he is flowing, and I am listening and staying in tune to him, I’m staying in his will.  You and I both know – that’s the safest place to be - IN THE WILL OF GOD and it starts and ends with staying in tune…and resisting the urge to quench the Spirit.  That’s what I heard.  Be encouraged beloved….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Moving

Hey there! My blog is now on my site and I am disabling this one in a couple of weeks!  If you follow this blog, please go to my site and si...